Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High voltage DC to AC converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

windell747

Mechanical
Jun 16, 2005
US
Hi, I'm working on a dust repulsion circuit that requires >3000VAC at about 5Hz. I know that there are florescent light bulb power supplies that go from 12DC to 1kV-->7kV. These are perfect except the output frequency is around 30kHz. I really need the 5Hz part. Any ideas? I would prefer something off the shelf for now for testing purposes. Later I will look into building a circuit that works with the right parameters.

Thanks,
Windell

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What waveform - a pulse with a 5Hz repetition rate or a 5Hz sinusoid, or something else?

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

5Hz sinusoid preferably... could also use a square waveform, but not as preferable. The current requirement I know is small (mA range), but I still need to calculate it.

Just a crazy off the wall idea, but how about a neon sign transformer and an audio power amplifier ?

Now suppose you could find a neon sign transformer rated at something like 240 volts 50Hz input, and 30 Kv at a few milliamps output.

Driven at only 5Hz, an input of 24 volts should produce 3Kv output at the same magnetic flux levels.

I have no idea if this is practical, but it would be about as close to an off the shelf solution that I can think of.

Perhaps you could borrow one to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back