Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

high voltage detectors vs. electric field detector 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

omara

Electrical
Jul 20, 2001
IT
Does anyone know if electric field detectors are available that can be used by linesmen or other field staff to determine if an overhead line / high voltage equipment is energized? I'm looking for an electric field detector that can be used at a distance from the live parts and gives an audible/visual indication.

We presently use standard voltage detectors that have to touch the live part (using an insulated stick). I'd be very grateful for info on any alternative products that would similarly ensure the safety of linesmen.

My main application is at the distribution level (11kV, 30kV), although detectors suitable for transmission voltages would also be interesting. Or is there anything suitable for LV (400V)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I’m not sure there is a difference—it might just be regional terminology. You may want to investigate Modiewark non-contact testers. They make a stick-mounted tapswitch-adjustable unit ~240V-230kV. Through Salisbury Rubber in the US.

I do not care for the TIF brand.

A quick search in Google for 'HV proximity testers' came back with 208 hits.
Personally I have used the Karl Fister -KP tester and the Fameca Brands both excellent.

Suggestion: Gaussmeters could also be indirectly used. Visit
since the electric field intensity Ex is related to the magnetic field intensity Hy over sqrt(Muo/Epsilono)
Additionally, visit
for field detectors,
and for high voltage detectors:
(meet IEC Stds)
etc. for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back