Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Voltage Generator Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobsVette

Mechanical
Apr 15, 2009
US
Hey guys, I am working at a project now where there is a KATO 13.8KV (4.4 MW, parralled to the local utility grid) generator being used to supply power to a building in Manhattan. The generator is powered by a Solar Gas Turbine (a Mercury 50).

Can someone give me a brief rundown of the high voltage generator and switchgear tests that should be performed, and also explain why you would perform it and how the test works. Its not my responsibility to do this stuff, but I would like to be able to understand what is going on.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might find Doble's website quite educational:

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Well, there are equipment tests and there are system integration tests.

Individual equipment tests are well described in NETA-Acceptance Testing Specifications. The system tests depend on the system design objectives. That would include testing all possible reallife scenarios with and without loads. The real test is go through all probable failure scenarios, that the system is expected to react to such as power outage, certain breaker failure, etc. to make sure that the system will function in emergency as expected.

Plus there are normal field acceptance tests that verifies all the adjustable settings and see that the system works as intended.

If the system designers are good enough, they should be able to explain this to your satisfaction. If not you need to hire some experienced professionals to watch your interest.

If you are wondering, if all these tests are needed, the answer is Yes or you will not know what you paid for. Also the star-up checks performed by field service techs are not sufficient for a through system acceptance tests.

Rafiq Bulsara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back