Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Highly viscous fluid 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheiko

Chemical
May 7, 2007
MQ
Hi,

Do you know any standard/recommended practices about sizing relief valves for highly viscous liquids (9000 cP)?

Are API 520 or ISO 4126 applicables?

"We don't believe things because they are true, things are true because we believe them."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're pretty much on target in considering API 520. If you look at §5.8.1.4 and 5.8.1.5 of API 520 (8th edition from December 2008), you'll find a fairly explicit method for sizing relief valves for viscous liquids. A worked example problem follows immediately. That ought to step you through the procedure with minimal pain (at least, one would hope so). Speak up if I can help further.

Thanks.

I have noticed API proposes an iterative procedure to determine the required orifice area. But in my case, i cannot find a solution. Each time i increment to a higher standard orifice size, the Reynolds number decrease and so does the Kv coefficient. As a result, i always need a bigger orifice size....until i reach the point where there is no higher standard size available.

Another point where i am lost is that the Reynolds number decrease as the orifice size increase...strange?

FYI
Pset=18 barg
total backpressure=1.7 barg
T=50 degC
Q=19 L/min
G=0.89
mu=9000 cP

"We don't believe things because they are true, things are true because we believe them."

Please don't consider my last point on the effect of orifice size on Reynolds number.

You must go to a DIERS approach, which resolves the Kv factor for Reynolds numbers less than 400. The API 520 Kv table/chart is useless at low Reynolds Numbers.

Thanks but i can't download the file...

Nice.

But do you know where do those correlations (Kd, Kv, ...) come from? Are they from DIERS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back