Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Highway geometric design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Structural
Aug 10, 2003
NP
I like to discuss with all interested engineers about computer application and algorithms on geometric design of highways e.g. plan,profile etc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So, what do you want to discuss?

------------------------------------------
"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys typing on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare.

Blair Houghton

I have an algorithm that approximates the route by polynomials of 3rd degree.I want to convert the cubic polynomials into segments of clothoids used for transition curves in highways.Do you have any idea about it?

Many highway departments just use tangents and simple arcs. Modern CAD & survey software makes layout of spiral transitions much easier, but this is an inherently conservative profession in many ways.

In other words, your approach sounds neat, but does it offer anything for the average pragmatist field practitioner? What are you trying to acheive?

Also, where are you getting your alignment data? Mapping level data are probably not accurate enough for any sort of design work.

------------------------------------------
"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys typing on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare.

Blair Houghton

Can anybody suggest me where can I find information on suppliers of traffic signal accessories(Such Programmable logic Controllers,their specification,traffic lights and blinkers(both for vrhicles and pedestrians) and their cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back