Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hilti Kwik-Bolt II Designed to meet ACI 318, Appendix D

Status
Not open for further replies.

aepaul

Civil/Environmental
Oct 13, 2003
US
A client chose to anchor a sign with some Kwik-Bolt II's that they had laying around a couple of weeks ago and the building department that had approved a different method of anchoring the sign is requiring calculations for the installation. Any suggestions or recommendations for showing that the Kwik-Bolt II's can meet current standards although Hilti doesn't have much of the data for the procedure in ACI 318?

aepaul
Auburn, WA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't believe the KBII is cracked concrete approved, so if you have seismic loads you will likely need to supplement with additional anchors. If you don't have seismic forces and can assume uncracked you might have a chance. I agree with PEInc, check with Hilti. I'm sure it's come up before.

Just in case it helps, I uploaded an old ICBO ER for KB-II's. If the jurisdiction requires anchors qualified for cracked-concrete, you are probably out of luck. Even the newer KB-3's aren't qualified for cracked concrete. The KB-IIs aren't in Profis (in the US at least) because they haven't been available for a while.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=806dbc2c-0846-4763-9a1e-00ccc533122f&file=Hilti_KB_2_ER_4627_2001_Feb.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back