Hinge For Time History Analysis 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeH78

Structural
Jun 28, 2011
TR
Dear ALL,

When I perform the Time History Analysis in SP20000 v25 I noticed that hinge results are not displayed and not even calculated. I use the Modal for solution method for equation solution(FNA) and if I use Direct Integration it takes to much time for the problem solution sometimes it can't even reach the convergence. Is it true that sap2000 doesn't support hinge formations for time history analysis ?
your help will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you mean hinge formation? Plastic hinge??

If you want plastic hinge you need to use SAPs nonlinear analysis. And you need to define the hinge properties. I would do some linear analysis, and nonlinear pushover analysis to validate the model prior to the nonlinear time history.

driftLimitter said:
What do you mean hinge formation? Plastic hinge??
yes, I define plastic hinges 0,1*length ıf structural element but in TH it doesn't show the hinge status whether it reached IO, LS or CP levels, I believe that in FNA feature of SAPs it doesn't solve plastic hinges totally. Instead I have to go with direct ıntegration method which is time consuming and may not converge at all, which is very annoying.

drfitLimitter said:
I would do some linear analysis, and nonlinear pushover analysis to validate the model prior to the nonlinear time history.
totally agree with you, I have done pushover prior to NL-TH it showed the hinge status, but I couldn't get any hint on forecasting whether the NL-TH will fail or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back