Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

History Based Modeler Training 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

btcoutermash

Industrial
Feb 2, 2004
US
All,
Has anyone heard of anyone that offers training for history based CAD software?? What I mean is training in understanding the concept itself of history based modeling. It seems that when people switch from "clay" modelers to history based, they stunble alot. Having training in how the new software works is great, but if you do not thoroughly understand the concept of history based modeling, then the software training seems incomplete.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here is a great link that has a lot of good resources.

thread559-123050

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 4.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea" Bernard-Paul Heroux

To answer your question, I do not know of any specific training for that.

I don't mean to belittle your concern, but do you really think that is necessary?

The basic concept is actually very simple:-
If, in the process of creating a feature, some geometry (or sketch entity) from an existing feature is used, then the newly created feature will be dependant (a child) of the existing feature and as such cannot exist before that existing feature.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

I know of none, either.

However, lots of practice will begin to establish a great understanding (logically) of why the software does things the way it does. Often the apparent limits of the software are also logical limits of reality.

History-based packages offer a series of dependent features in "time". With practice, you'll eventually run into edits you'd like to make in your parts that will be easily solved by dragging a feature backward or forward in "time" along your feature manager. Doing so will give you an advantage in learning first-hand how and why the software behaves in this way, and is likely what the instruction you speak of would have you do in class anyway.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

I certainly think it is necessary. When you have Designers (like our company does) who's first and only CAD experience is with non-history based CAD software, the switch (in our case) is pretty difficult. They are so used to adding and deleting features with out any consiquence, they find it very diffult to accept and understand the history tree. This is not to say everyone has these problems, but in our case it is an issue.

My ranting,
Most users at our company had the same problem. I am the admin for SW and PDMW. I tell them get used to it, do it right. If they can't, I will not use their models. The ones that get it, create good models...the ones that don't hear it from their bosses because the parts are messed up for CAM. I have training sessions for all users every month.
The way I see it, history or non-history based, get used to the software you use and use it correctly...or find another job.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP3.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

I'm giving you a
star.gif
for such a snappy response. I spoon feed an engineer for almost four years. I would fix his mistakes (because I'm a data purist), and spent countless hours helping him (that was in adition to formal training). The person eventually got reassigned to another department. It's not hard to be a power user in more than one MCAD package these days....actually the job market almost demands it with all the data sharing that takes place.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 4.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get me.

- Woody Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back