Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

History of registering pressure systems in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kacarrol

Mechanical
Apr 14, 2010
CA
I've searched for all kinds of different word combinations on the internet and asked a couple of colleagues some questions trying to figure out this question but have not come up with a solid answer.

Does anyone know when Canada (or more specifically Ontario) started requiring registration of piping systems, boilers etc?

I know that the first edition of CSA B51 appeared in 1939. It sounds like it was sometime in the mid-1970's when MCCR started requiring systems be registered, but it could have been in the 1960's. Someone here thinks that in the late 80's or early 90's they changed the CRN rules so that they expire after 10 years (for components). But I can't find any solid information.

Thanks for any input!
K

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is there a particular question that you are trying to answer?

The fitting registrations expire after 10 years. There is no expiry on vessel design registrations (unless the a code change makes the design non-compliant) and piping registrations are usually for single systems, tied to the installation location.

EJL

eliebl,

I am looking for the specific date as to when registration of piping systems, pressure vessels and boilers was first required (as per the middle paragraph/line with the question mark in the OP).

As a kind of side question I was also trying to find out when they changed the regulations so that fitting registrations had an expiry date.

Regards,
K

Thanks for the link Murec. I have tried looking for the history of MCCR (and TSSA) but can't find anything on CRN's or when they became a part of code.

As a background, I'm looking for the history of this so I can put it in a presentation I am giving. I like to give a little background on this stuff as I find it interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back