Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

History of Wind Load Provisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvelazquez

Structural
Feb 16, 2004
US
I need to investigate wind load design criteria that were used for structures built in the 1950s. Any suggestions on where I can obtain such information and how the criteria have changed and become more or less stringent compared to today's criteria used by ASCE 7-02?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have original plans, sometimes the architect or engineer put the design wind load into the plan notes.

Sometimes you can determine what was the adopted code in the jurisdiction the building was built. Research of that code should reveal what was the minimum design load.

Unfortunately, the original plans in the possession of the owner are incomplete and do not have the structural drawing that provides such information. I believe the wind design provisions used for the time frame of 1940s through 1960s is ANSI A58 but I am unable to find a copy. Any recommendations of locating a copy? The local university does not have the years I'm looking for.

I don't.

Wisconsin used a flat rate 20psf design load for everthing.

If you wished further refinement in loads, you had to investigate and document your wind study.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back