Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hold up tank design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinNZ

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2003
NZ
Can I have some help please

I need to design a tank that will hold up 85C water flow for one hour. That is the liquid enters and leaves the device at a constant flow but the liguid takes one hour to pass though.

I could do this with a coil of pipe. At say 2m/s the pipe would need to be 7200m long!

Is there a smart tank and buffle design to do this?

The tank also has to be very well insulated so the liquid does not cool much.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i'm not sure what u want exactly, but maybe a tank with orifice could help. so u'll basically control the flow from the tank to the piping, and u can make it as slow as u want..

Elie Abou Jaoudeh

I'm not aware of a good solution for this.

You can put baffles in a tank that will help some. This becomes an issue in designing water tanks for chlorine contact time. But there's no real way to say that each molecule of water stays in the tank at least an hour.

A similar issue is in thermal storage tanks, but there the temperature differential helps keep the water stratified. But various schemes of headers have been used to help with the process.

Use a tall skinny tank to maximize stratification with the hot water takeoff at the top (hot water riser) and use a diffuser plate located at the bottom to minimize turbulence and water mixing.

Google thermal storage tanks and you should find some guidance, though mostly based on chilled water but similar principals should apply, just be aware 1 hour at full flow may result in a large tank!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back