Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hole creation not possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbarata

Automotive
Aug 14, 2012
Hello, my friends

In my CATIA trainning I've created a pad from a L-Shape profile (Sketch 1).
Then I created two concentric circles (Sketch 5 and 7).
I want to create a hole using Sketch 7 (minor circle) but it gives the error shown in the picture.
I don't understand why.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, it seems the link is not working...anyway, I think I already understood what's happening.
Basically, what I was trying to do was to create a hole from a circle sketch which is obviously not the way how to do it the circle was in a pad face). Looking closely, the hole definition window doesn't have any possibility to select a sketch. It must be created using center coordinates. So, I should have used a pocket instead of a hole.

Thanks anyway.

Well, you are right, but you can you use a point, an axis an existing hole to create a new hole.

For example, if there is an existing axis somewhere which intersect the solid somewhere, you can select the axis and after the face and the hole will be coaxial through that respective face.

And a point can be already there from a previous sketch or it can be created on the surface using the point feature.

CATIA V5R21 – mold tool design engineer

Thanks, Tibix

I will try your solution.

When you talk about an axis do you mean a "real" axis (created with the axis tool) or an edge from the solid is enough?

When ever possible, try using a real axis, or a line – these are preferred ways of defining a hole axis.

I haven't tried using an edge, but I wouldn't be surprised if it worked.

CATIA V5R21 – mold tool design engineer

Maybe I haven't understood correctly your post.
I could create a hole using a line that goes through the solid (therefore, the line is the axis). I could also d it by using a point on the solid surface. But I couldn't do it using an axis (from the axis tool). Maybe I'm not doing things correctly. By the way, using an edge as the line, it doesn't work (which makes sense, since an hole in an edge doesn't make much sense.[bigsmile]

Rui, you seem to be getting more and more confused. (I'm confused myself, trying to following this thread [sad] ). You said you're in training... I think it's time to ask your instructor for help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back