Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hole Pattern on face perpendicular to primary datum

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkrz

Automotive
Sep 29, 2023
US
If I have a part (a cube for example) which has the primary 'A' datum on the bottom surface (B and C datums on faces perpendicular to it), and a hole pattern on one of the surfaces perpendicular to A. In a composite frame I would have the top to datums ABC, then would the FRTZF be only to A or need to be back to A and B (lets say B is the face of the bolt pattern).

In summary, how would I reference a hole pattern that is on a face perpendicular to the primary datum.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends on what you need. If, in addition to controlling the spacing between the holes, you only care about perpendiculatrity of the holes in the group to A, use A only in the FRTZF. If you want the pattern to be also oriented to B, specify A|B.

Using references that represent the way it interfaces with other parts is a good start. If the part is forced into position against a surface, include that surface in the feature control frame datums. The perpendicularity doesn't usually matter, but without a specific full assembly description making guesses about exceptions isn't helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back