Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hole Series vs Hole Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan240

Mechanical
Mar 1, 2004
US
I'm having a problem properly calling out threaded holes in a drawing.

I have two parts, they bolt together. When I use Hole Series to create the clearance hole and the threaded hole at once I am unable to properly call out the thread in the drawing. In the drawing, using the Hole Callout annotation, I get the drill diameter (not thread diameter) and the depth. I seem to be unable to change that other than manually typing in the thread callout (which I think is a bad idea).

If I create the holes using Hole Wizard instead the Hole Callout seems to work fine. I get the proper thread diameter and depth.

This seems like a pain and a potential for problems as the clearance hole and the threaded hole are no longer linked together in Hole Wizard like they would be if it was a Hole Series.

Am I doing something wrong here?

best,
Dan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are some funky things with Hole Wizard that SW Corp never fixed when they bought that company. Funny and inconsistant callouts is one of them. You MIGHT be able to edit the calloutformat.txt file to get the results you want, but not every option you might think necessary is covered in that file. Epic Fail!

Matt Lorono
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA
Lorono's SolidWorks Resources
Co-moderator of Solidworks Yahoo! Group
and Mechnical.Engineering Yahoo! Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back