Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hole tables in drawings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alansimpson

Mechanical
Jul 8, 2000
IE
What is the simplest way to generate a table giving x and Y coordinates of holes in a complex drawing in order to allow fabricators to read coordinates from a list rather than from the drawing itself? Values must be parametric and derived from created ordinate dimensions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Place a coordinate system at your "origin" and then choose from ADVANCED->HOLE TABLE->SETUP->.... then CREATE-> and follow PRO/E instructions.

-Hora

You can create the holes as a pattern, using the option "pattern table", pick the right references (just like you want your dimensions the drawing)in sketch mode for the first hole, and after that you can print out the table with all the dimensions.[thumbsup2] im4cad
Pro Design Services, Inc.

im4cad,
Does the technique you suggested allow you to create a hole table for counterbored and countersunk holes? It has been my experience that you cannot create a hole table for for anything other than straight holes. I talked to our RAND support people a while back and they said that the hole table feature is still under development and is somewhat limited.
Any comments?

cheers,

JW

Since your dimensions are created ones, you must create analysis features to make the hole table parametric. Choose Feature/Create/Datum/Analysis, choose Measure,Distance and measure from whatever will serve as your ordinate zero to the axis of the first hole. You can create a Cartesian measurement if your x-zero is the same point as your y-zero. Make sure you choose create Distance X, Y and Z. Then you can put the analysis dimensions into your hole table and they will update parametrically. To reference the x-distance analysis dimension as text, use &DISTANCE_X:FID_??, where ?? is the Feature ID of the analysis feature. Similarly, use Distance_Y or Distance_Z as needed. You will need an analysis feature for each hole.

I really do not see the utility to create a feature analysis, when in drawing mode, PRO/E can create a Hole Table with X, Y and Z dimensions from an origin.

If you have 200 or more holes, please tell me how will you put all yours &distance_x:fid_xx, &distance_y:fid_xx and &distance_z:fid_xx in the table?

-Hora.

I do agree with Hora's comments. I never believe in created dimensions. Thery are tends to fail in case small modifications too!!!!.
It is always a better practice to show dimensions rather than creating them. Regards,
Yogesh Birari

Sometimes created dimensions are the only possibility. For instance if your holes need to reference something other than a coordinate system, then the shown dimensions will not be the best for manufacturing.

As far as hole tables go, I do not have much experience with them, but as far as I have been told, they do not have much flexibility. For instance if your view is an assembly view you will not be able to include part holes in your table. Also the naming of the holes is rather limited. I'd love to hear what other people's experience has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back