Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hole Wizard Callouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkoko

Mechanical
Aug 3, 2007
CA
Is there a way of calling out the type of fastener with hole callout ie "Hex Bolt" I know you can callout things like <hw-cbdepth> to get the counter bore depth, so I was hoping there was a way of calling fastener type I'm just not sure what it is.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could add it by hand, but I don't think there's any other way, short of creating your own database. A hole size doesn't necessarily define the fastener type.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP

That's true, but I would like to have custom hole types that would contain information specific to certain fasters...mainly with PEM's. I spend a lot of time typing out "FOR FHS-0420-8"...it would be nice if custom databases were easy to set up (maybe they already are).

My apologies ... I meant Smart Component ... but that doesn't help you either. For some reason I thought the hole callout cross-referenced the part it was produced from. Must have been a wish-list-dream. [smile]

[cheers]

In the calloutformat.txt file is where you add those variables. You can also get a list of them when you put a callout on a drawing... you can see a button called "Variables"

I found this Variable "<hw-fsttyp>" - which means Fastener type. If you had Toolbox and you used a Hex Bolt, then you can add this variable into the callouts and it will give the Fastener type.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Thanks Scott, that worked for what I wanted to do. I was also able to rename the entire 'Hex Bolt' category of fasteners to HHCS (Hex Head Cap Screw) which is what we wanted to see on our drawings. HHCS also now appears at the fasteners designation in the hole wizard feature manager which is perfect.

Why not just use the File Properties? You can do a Balloon or a common annotation/note. It's way easier than messing with the Hole Wizard and/or calloutformat.txt file.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back