Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hole Wizzard Counterbore 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnplctech

Industrial
Sep 29, 2002
US
Why does SW2003 counterbore in the wizzard not match the callout on the machineries hand book for close fit and normal fit.

for example

3/8 SHCS
close normal loose
solidworks .386 .397 .406
mach hand book .391 .406

am i missing something here

Thanks
John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SW never really spells out what standard was used in setting up the hle wizard.

On the bright side, you get a special virtual blue ribbon from The Tick for having the wisdom and foresight to not let some programmer make your engineering decisions for you.
[medal]

[bat]If the ladies don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.[bat]

John, you can change all the settings to specifically what you want and then add that hole to your favorites. whenever you want to reuse this hole, just select it from favorites.

-DB

John; if you email me I can tell you how to modify your SW hole wizard without ending us with a zillion "favorites". bsheets@merritech.com

In SW 2004, go to tools / options and then data standards.

Select a new standard name (Company X ansi in) and select what you are copying it from (Ansi IN). Go to the edit data tab. Adjust values accordingly.

Now when you use hole series you have a new standard to choose from.

Daniel

I was always kind of irked by the seemingly arbitrary application of hole dims to the hole wizard tool myself. I generally apply the dimensions that I want/need manually at the time I employ the wizard.

To provide another answer your question, I know that somewhere in the SW installation directory are a series of MSAccess database files (*.mdb) that can be modified according to your preferences. The caveat is that you'll want to backup the original because I believe that I've read here in the forum where sometimes these tables can get screwed up and mess with the SW installation.

Oh BTW, I believe that this suggestion is only applicable to SW03 and prior. SW04 I think does away with these and allows the user to interface and create favorites within SW itself (as was suggested already) but I'm not 100% certain of this.

Good luck,

Chris Gervais
Sr. Mechanical Designer
Lytron Corp.

Chris is right on, in 2003 and earlier you can modify and create new .mdb files that are used by the hole wizard. This is an unsupported modification and therefore is not talked about openly it seams. I have completely customized all of our .mdb files with sucess and I am elated that this appears to be facilitated in 2004. As Chris says you must as always be cautious and know your limits. If you are not familiar with this type of data file, best leave it alone or get someone who is to do it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back