Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Holes Missing In Flat 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plifter365

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2006
US
I have 6 holes on a bent flange, they are all put in with the extrude cut feature, and all on the same sketch. When I unsuppress the flat 2 of the holes go missing. Any Ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unfortunately I don't believe that there is a way around this due to parent=child relationships using the "flatten" command.

The way I have gotten around this when my requrements are driven by the flattened feature is to use an unfold to flatten the part, I then make my hole and fold it again.

Wes C.
------------------------------
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post a screenshot or file for download so we can see what is happening.
See faq559-1100 & faq559-1177.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Do you have any configs of the part? If so are any of the holes "skipped" in a pattern?

Can you show a screenshot of the Feature Manager tree?

Are you absolutely sure all the holes (parallel to the angled edges) are being cut from the same sketch? If they are, then what you are seeing is really weird.

If you are still having the same problem, post the actual SW file for download.

[cheers]

I have 6 holes on a bent flange, they are all put in with the extrude cut feature, and all on the same sketch. When I unsuppress the flat 2 of the holes go missing. Any Ideas?

Use the unfold feature, add your holes, then use the fold feature. When you unsuppress the Flat pattern next time the holes should still be there.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

I'm glad you got it to work ... but that doesn't make sense.

Why would only some of the holes become "lost"? Usually if it's a unfold/fold issue, all of the feature would be messed up.

Would you mind posting the part for download? I would like to investigate further ... just for personal interest.

[cheers]

I figured it out, the four bend tabs that I added to the flat drawing, the sketch intersected the 4 middle holes on each corner, because the holes were a modification after the tabs I never thought to look at the sketch for the tabs.

So did fix the sketch to allow the original way to work, or do you still have to use th unfold/fold method?

[cheers]

You shouldn't feel foolish at all ... we've now learned what to look for next time something similar happens.

Thanks for the feedback.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back