Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

holes pattern in a round plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldboot

Industrial
Jun 30, 2004
CA
I want to make a round plate with holes on it. Holes are the same. I am taking following steps:

1. create a hole in the center of the board.

2. crated a second hole with a certain distance (R1) from the center hole. and pattern in a circle (r=R1) to make 6 holes around.

3. create 3rd hole in a 'R2' cricle (R2>R1), and pattern 9 (or more) holes around.

4. Created 4th hole farther from center and pattern 12 or 15 or more....

I think this is a stupid way. Is there anyway to make all the holes in the board at one pattern?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No because each radial pattern has a different number of members.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

I agree with Ben.

There is nothing wrong with having multiple patterns, provided that each of them satisfies the intent of your design. Having them created separately tells other users that there are three distinct bolt cirlce patterns, and will also provide you with the necessary parametric dimensions for your drawing.

Trying to work out relations to get it to work in one pattern can potentially make the model much more difficult to modify later on, especially if you pass it on to someone else.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back