Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

holes shown on center of shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ftr15237

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2009
US
I have a question regarding centerness of cross holes in a shaft. The hole is shown on the centerline but there is nothing stating that it is on center or how much it can be off center. Let's say the hole in question has a diameter tolerance of +/-.005. Is there a standard for how far the hole can be off center? Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If there are default tolerances in the title block, then I would use the tightest of the linear dimension tolerances. If there is no default tolerance, then I would use the tolerance for the linear poistion along the axis as the off center tolerance. As a vendor my use a different tolerance, I would suggest making the axial location basic and using a true position tolerance.

Peter Stockhausen
Senior Design Analyst (Checker)
Infotech Aerospace Services

You cannon make any assumption, the tolerance is fundamentally missing.

Per ASME Y14.5M-1994 2.7.3 "The limits of size do not control the orientation or location relationship between individual features. Features shown perpendicular, coaxial or symmetrical to each other must be controlled for location or orientation to avoid incomplete drawing requirements...."

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back