Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

holes to slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmanneri

Mechanical
Sep 1, 2004
CA
I am modifying a sheet metal part that someone else created. I want to turn all the holes into slots. what is the quickest most effective way to do this. And yes I am a bit of a newb. I think the guy used the hole wizard to make the holes. I also don't want to lose the X/Y table for the holes in the associated drawing.

thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

oldmanneri,
I do not have time to try this, but maybe you can. Create a slot on a new sketch then align the center of the slot with the center of the hole. The slot will remove the hole but should not affect your X/Y Table. Try it on one hole and slot before doing them all, to see how things go.
Good luck.

Bradley

"Quickest way" ? Quickest for you, or ??

Last time I did this, they also decided to go BACK to holes... sometimes.

I made the Holes 2 sets of arcs with .0001" flats between them. The CAM software ignored these .0001" amounts when outputting "holes", and correctly identified them "circles". When I changed the cfg to make the .0001 flats a more appreciable amount, it correcly identified them as abrounds.

Maybe flatten the part, cut-extrude rectangles between the holes to create slots. Also don't have time to try right now. Hope this helps.

I think I would create a Library Feature of the slot, then drag them into the model, and associate them to the existing hole locations.

"But what... is it good for?"
Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I do not have a good way of doing this but in Catia there is a tool in the sketcher that lets you drag out slots real easy. All you do is select two center points and the radius and it is done and very easly modified. I have requested this enhancment in the past but we do not have it yet. Maybe if more of us get on the wagon it could turn up. Have a good one.

Hole wizard holes are basically a packaged sketch-driven pattern of revolved cuts. Since they are revolves, you can't turn them into slots.

It would be nice if you could preserve the "locating" sketch (the one with the points) when the hole wizard feature is deleted. Unfortunately, this is not the case. All the sketches disappear with the feature.

However, you could use the locating sketch as a template to create your on sketch. Start a new sketch on the same face, add points, and constrain them coincident with the points from the original sketch. Once all the points are in place, delete the constraints and dimension/constrain as needed. You can then use the new sketch to drive a sketch-driven pattern of slots.

[bat]"When everyone is thinking alike, no one is thinking very much." --Eckhard Schwarz (1930--2004)[bat]

Just create a feature that cuts the slots right on the holes. If the holes are moved the relations will cause the slots to move with them, this way you can use the table to drive your slots. If the holes are truly gone from the part, I would just remove them and replace them with slots, its not the fastest method but no sense in leaving some confusion laying in the model for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back