Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hollowcore Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveVikingPE

Structural
Aug 9, 2001
US
I've been looking into using hollowcore planks for a project.

This is my introduction to acutally designing and specifying hollowcore and I discovered, through web searches and phone calls, that hollowcore planks aren't so easy to come by. It seems that they're produced "regionally" meaning, in my area (New York City) the closest producer is several hours away in Pennsylvania or Baltimore. Not one producer on Long Island it appears - and I've looked - hopefully not hard enough.

It's strange: hollowcore is somewhat ubiquitous, but am I to believe that NYC contractors do their shopping in Baltimore for precast/prestressed floors? And thus they're willing to pay a hauling premium?

Does anyone know of a good source for me? I've check out PCI, but perhaps not closely enough. Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This book may help for specifying, go to amazon.com for a used copy:

PCI Manual for the Design of Hollow Core Slabs
Edition: Hardcover
Reviews, recommendations, and more:

List Price: $50.00
Used from $21.76

Thanks, haynewp!

I have that book, though. ...and here's what I think of it: it's great provided you have ACI 318 and a good concrete textbook next to you while working through it...

But my question is about the AVAILABILITY of hollowcore, not on design-related issues. Thusly, does anyone know of hollowcore suppliers close to New York City? Again, the PCI web page is fine, but it seems that suppliers are in Pennsylvania and/or Baltimore, MD - hence we'll be charged accordingly for shipping. I'd rather have a more local supplier.

Thanks, rethornton!

At first I figured Oldcastle was still too far away, but it seems they suppply a lot of hollowcore for the NYC-Metro area. I hate to pay through the nose, though, for hauling... But the time saved installing hollowcore vs. poured-in-place might make up the difference.

Thanks again!

Dave,
We do have a lot of projects through all NY, Long Island as well as New England. My email address is nesil.armagan@oldcastleprecast.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back