Horizontal Forces on Cantilever Piles from Floating Structures

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslandEngineer

Structural
Jun 6, 2006
US
thread218-297339

I need to design (size and embedment) several cantilever pilings (probably open 12" - 14" diam steel pipe)to replace existing timber pilings that support a series of 5' x 20' floating docks ... the design site (Puget Sound) is a slightly sloping (1 : 12) sandy beach (with silty-gravelly-sand substrata) but subject to routine tides of 8 - 10 ft and storms with 20 - 30 knot winds with an open fetch of more than a mile. In the past I have used a 3-4 pile cluster with batter piles for dock systems but this time I must use a series of single cantilever piles at approx 8 ft c/c; likewise, I typically calculate my lateral load on the pile using the wind sail area at high tide and a percent of max storm winds. All that noted, I did an Eng-Tips search and saw "adfo"s thread that referenced "heave, sway, surge, pitch, yaw and roll" ... I know these type forces are active but I do not know how to estimate the loads ... can anyone help?

Also, please advise how I can access the previous 218-297339 thread ... maybe the answers are already available.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Island Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back