Status
Not open for further replies.

mar2805

Structural
Dec 21, 2008
HR
Hi!
Please see attached image.
How to calculate the horizontal pressure that the backfilled material will have on the retaining wall?
The material will be deposited and will have this trinagular shape behined the wall.
Usualy we are presented with problem that say that the material is compacted behined the wall up to the walls height.
This is a bit different.
Can you help

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f3bba900-4b24-4a0e-8282-98e957517be7&file=Capture.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Below is the soil pressure coefficient calculation out of the AASHTO spec. You should be able to enter Beta as a negative angle corresponding to your slope into the equations, and get a decent approximation. The soil pressure is bound to be really low, though.

aashto_soil_pressure_aiukie.jpg

Structurally, you could design it for a level backfill condition, and it would be plenty conservative.

For the sliding stability, it would seem that would be conservative, also, but I'm not completely sure of that.

I won't be able to post the Figure from my spec. until Thursday, since I'll be out of the office tomorrow.

Beta is the angle of the backfill from horizontal, in this case, it will be around -30, if your sketch is correct.

Gamma, the friction angle between the wall and backfill can be conservatively approximated as half of phi, the angle of internal friction of the soil.

The angle of the back face of the wall looks to be vertical. If so, theta = 90 degrees.

BridgeSMith...any chance for that picture? :)

@PEinc
You mean the shifting of the force to the half of the height of the backfill and not on 1/3 from the bottom?

I dont think this picture describes my scenario.
What you have on the picture is an full soil profile behind the wall. I dont have this.
Please see my picture

I dont think this picture describes my scenario.
What you have on the picture is an full soil profile behind the wall. I dont have this.
Please see my picture

You're not likely to find a diagram for your scenario. It's not common to build a retaining wall to hold back a diminishing slope. What is the purpose of backfilling this?

If this were my design, I'd likely just assume that the backfill is level behind the wall(even though it's not) for lateral loading purposes. When checking overturning, though, I would only utilize the actual weight of material on the heel.

Assuming one could calculate the reduced lateral loading due to a declining backfill
1) how much material savings would you actually get?
2) what's going to prevent the end user from filling the retained area flush for a distance of 2*H?

Please note that is a "v" (as in Violin) not a "y".

If this were my design, I'd likely just assume that the backfill is level behind the wall(even though it's not) for lateral loading purposes. When checking overturning, though, I would only utilize the actual weight of material on the heel.

That's what I would do, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back