Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Horizontal Subgrade Modulus

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumaran856

Geotechnical
Apr 22, 2008
US
Is there a table or a standard empirical chart that has information of horizontal modulus Es for different soils? I do understand that Es is based on p and y, but is there a table that simplifies this issue if load values are not known?

Any help is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For what reason do you need this? For pavement or mat? They are treated differently.

For drilled shaft or embedded pole the horizontal sub-grade modulus is usually a function of depth and soil type with units of force per volume, (which is a plate reacting some distance into soil due to a force).

I'd like to know the end game. How will you use the data?

f-d

¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

since you are talking about p and y, perhaps you are designing a laterally loaded pile. com624 software (aka lpile) recommends some horizontal sub-grade modulus values based on terzaghi's work (which he was reportedly never happy with). personally, i like vesic's equation because it is a function of the elastic modulus and the poissons ratio of the soil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back