Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hospital Emergency Generator Fuel Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

chad44

Electrical
Dec 18, 2001
US
I am designing an emergency system for an Ohio hospital, including new generators. In other states that I have worked, the amount of on-site fuel capacity (hours of run time at full load) is clearly spelled out by the State. In Ohio, though, I can not find any requirement. Could someone familiar with Ohio hospital requirements help me out?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Better to check with the said hospital. They are the one who will approve your design anyway. If you can't find any, use the the previous data you had from the other State, there shouldn't be a big difference.

I don't remember because it's been 20 years, but I think there's a standard in the rules of the Joint Commission. If your hospital is accredited, you'd best check out the JCAHO rules. If they don't specify, they will at least refer you to a code or standard.

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on fueling standby generators with natural gas? If you have natural gas feeding the facility, you would a supply that does not require replenishment.

NFPA 99 mentions natural gas as an approved fuel source, if it can be considered to be reliable. However, many states do not consider it reliable, and require an on-site fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back