Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hot keys in Inventor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamaryder

Mechanical
Aug 28, 2003
US
I would love nothing more than to have keyboard shortcuts in Inventor. I despise the fact that Inventor forces the user to access virtually all commands via mouse clicks. Sure i can use 'D' for dimension, 'L' for line, etc., but only a few commands are accessible in this way. Having started on AutoCAD, I grew accustomed to having one hand on the keyboard, one on the mouse. With Inventor, I literally have to sit on one hand. After using Inventor for almost a year now, I draw fairly quickly, but I feel extremely slow and cumbersome having to navigate entirely with the mouse. Am I the only one who feels this way? Anyone have any info about the possibility of this being included in Inventor 8?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Oops, forgot to mention you can simply type "e" to finish your sketch command and do an extrude, "r" for revolve, and us the 'roller' button to zoom in/out and pan (hold down).

Those should help a bit ;-)

FYI, the Adesk guys did show some functionality from a 'future version of Inventor' at the end of last week (which might perhaps be referred to as 8 assuming it doesn't become Inventor 2004 or some such when it officially releases... :).

Focus there was primarily on showing the new Cable/Harness functionality (which is slated to be part of Inventor Professional in the next release), and looked interesting. This basically builds on the Piping/tubing functionality already in AIP7 (Autodesk Inventor Professional 7) and, from what was said in the (public) seminar, plans are to expand this 'Professional' functionality over time to also include things like some Analysis, etc... just not many specifics on how much time ;^).

Didn't hear much discussed on shortcuts though...in the meantime, you might also want to pull the 'Contraint panel' (View/ Toolbar/ 2DConstrain Panel) out and dock it so that it's always easily accessible, as tends to be used quite a bit, as well!

Best Regards,
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back