Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hot Mix Asphalt Pavement Compaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jameschen6

Geotechnical
Jun 28, 2008
CA
As Previous OPS Standard, The pavement compaction (Field density)requirement is 92-96.5%. As the concrete placement which there should be air content if the concrete placement exposed to the freezing condition. The asphalt 92-96.5% has be understood this way for a long time. Now the OPS standard changed the requirement to At least 92% some time ago. Theoretically, compaction can go up to 100%. Is this correct? I have asked a number of people of this matter. It seems that nobody can answer it. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not sure on the first part of your question re concrete placement, air content and has to be understood for a long time. Could you explain a but further please.

But, yes you can compact material to its maximum dry density, there for you have achieved 100%. However, it is likely that you have just been able to apply better compaction that what was applied in the lab. This is why you can get more than 100%. You compacted better on site than you did in the lab.

Thank you Eirechch,

My question is about the Asphalt pavement compaction. The old version of OPS standard had a requirement of field density 92-96.5% of MRD. A couple of years ago (maybe more than 2 years), The OPS was updated with requirement of the compaction 92% and up. They removed the upper limit. Theoretically, the compaction can reach 100% and the void can be 0%. Is this correct?

Yes, you can achieve 100% of the MRD and as you noted, the voids approach zero. That's not good!% The asphalt will then become less resilient and more brittle.

As a practical matter, it is very difficult to achieve 100% compaction during laydown. All conditions have to be perfect!

Keep an upper limit of 95 to 96 percent.

A Great Place For Engineers to Help Engineers

Follow me there.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back