Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How can I connect two nodes using hinge connector (CONN3D2 elements) in Abaqus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nik_274

Student
Feb 7, 2024
US
As shown in the attached picture, I am trying to connect two adjacent panels using Hinge connectors (CONN3D2 elements) with zero width and constant torsional stiffness. I wish to connect the adjacent nodes of the 2 panels with each other using the hinge connectors. However, Abaqus software does not allow me to connect the nodes as the hinge connector does not accept a node set as the input. This should be possible as I am trying to replicate the work in a research paper that did the same. I would appreciate it if anyone could guide me on connecting the nodes of the 2 panels together using hinge connectors. I have attached the file here as well.
Panels_xymv9y.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check the Create Engineering Features plug-in. It's available in the DS Knowledge Base (article QA00000008241 "Abaqus/CAE Plug-in Application to Automatically Generate Point-to-Point Springs, Dashpots, MPC constraints, or Wires for Connectors") and will let you connect the opposite nodes (given as two node sets) of both parts with connectors.

Thank you so much! I was able to create hinges using 'Wires for Connectors'. After connecting the panels using hinges, I constrained the bottom edges and applied a displacement at the top edges. However, now the panels move independently of each other as if they weren't connected using hinges. I have attached a picture of the same and the file as well. Any guidance on how to move forward would be highly appreciated!
Abaqus_Query_pzlj01.png

Separate the panels by a well-visible distance and check if the plug-in creates the wires correctly. If not, try creating them manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back