Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I convert CAD units from inch to mm in an assemby environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

addenroy

Mechanical
Jan 12, 2011
GB
I've created an assembly top-down with piece parts created from a number of sketches in the assembly environment. I've then discovered that I used inches instead of mm - dohhh! (I tend to use either units depending on customer). When I go to changing the units in the assembly model properties and ask it to convert by 'interpreting the dimensions' (i.e. 1" becomes 1mm) it ignores this and instead 'converts' so that 1" becomes 25.4mm and I get a huge part over 25 times bigger than it should be.

When I tick the 'Include submodels' box I do not get a choice of interpreting or converting, it seems to just default to converting, so again I end up with a super-sized assembly.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? I don't want to have to go through the whole design process again!!

Thanks in advance for any help,

A.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Open each component and do the conversion individually. Then your assembly should come back together as the right size.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Thanks looslib,

I may not have tried every possible way of doing this, but I tried 'interpreting' the assembly and then each part one-by-one. The problem was, when I had shrunk the assembly sketches, they messed up the parts which used these sketches before I could shrink them, so I couldn't perform an individual shrink as there were unresolved sketches etc.

In the end, I had to go into each part before I shrunk them and manually 'fix' each feature by shrinking it down to an inch equivalent of the mm required, then perform the 'interpret' to bring them to mm's, then re-open the part and change my approximate shrinkage values to a sensible mm dimension. I don't know if you follow that ramble, but it worked - but only because the parts weren't too complicated - lesson learned!!

Yet again Creo never fails to give me a sore head/raised blood pressure etc. Give me Catia/SW/SE any-day) - does anyone know a worse CAD package?

Creo - come on and catch up with the rest of the players and give us software that doesn't waste 50% of our time trying to figure out things that should be so simple.

Tks - A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back