Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I create a macro and assign it to a tool bar, NX6 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

berri

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2009
ES
Hi guys:

I want to know how can I create a macro on NX6 and assign it to a customized tool bar. I am so new NX CAM user.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You create Macros by going to...

Tools -> Macro -> Start Record...

...give the Macro a name and then perform the task you which to capture, after which you go to...

Tools -> Macro -> Stop Record

(note that we now recommend that you record Journals rather then Macros, if possible).

Once you have your Macro created and you've verified it's behavior, go to...

Tools -> Customize...

...and select the 'Commands' tab and then near the bottom of the 'Categories' column, select the 'New Button' option and then in the 'Commands' column, select and drag the 'New User Command' to the location in your toolbar of choice and drop it. Now place your cursor over this new item and press MB3 and select the last item, 'Edit Action', set the Type to Macro (or Journal) and enter the path to your Macro (Journal) file. You can also add whatever text that you wish to appear in the 'Tool Tip' for this new command. Now again pressing MB3, you can assign a Name to the command as well as selecting artwork for the icon, is you wish.

Now just exit the Customize mode and you can now execute your Macro (Journal) by selecting your custom Icon, just like any other command. Note that if you wish to save the changes made to the toolbar, you'll need to update your Role so that the changes are permanent.

Anyway, that should about do it.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John

Why do you recommend Journals over macros?

Best regards

Simon NX4.0.4.2 MP10 - TCEng 9.1.3.6.c - (NX6.0.3.6 MP2 native)

Life shouldn't be measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of times when it's taken away...

Journals will be less prone to being obsoleted as you upgrade from one version of NX to next whereas Macros will generally have to be recreated 100% of the time. Also, Journals can form the basis for creating actual user programs by adding your own logic using something like Visual Basic.

While it is true that we will continue to support keystroke Macro's, our long term direction is to encourage the use of Journals for capturing interactive tasks and workflows.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks John.

Another point is, how can I link a journal to a customized tool_database.dat

For example tool_database_yasda.dat and tool_database_hermle.dat

I want to get this tool database with a customized tool bar on NX, and inside this tool bar insert the journals. I have configured the tool bar, but I don't know how can I link this tool bar to the databases, separately on NXCAM.

For example, I want to mill one piece with this tools, tool_database_yasda.dat and with other part I want to use other tools, this ones for exmaple tool_database_hermle.dat

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back