Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I design a 2 story house? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirhejazi

Structural
Aug 11, 2000
CA
Hi
I am a new bigginer in the Housing design field. I was wondering if you can help me or show me how to design a 2 story house with gable roof,
I ment for the loading, we stat from the roof with wind and snow and dead load. Now how we apply them to the house, I don't know!
And if you have a sample case study to show me, I will be really appreciate that.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try to find a book "Design and Construction of Wood-Framed Buildings" by Morton Newman. It has Loads, Methods, Examples, Detailes, Connections. It si a good reference for the begginer as well as for interm.

Good luck.

I start with three areas
1. Overturn w hold downs
2. Walls shear and bending (beams, drag struts and hold downs)
3. Truss/rafter uplift w connections to provide load path to foundation

Calculate the wind / seismic / snow loads from the ASCE code

My first question is - are you a professional engineer or Architect and have you taken courses in Statics and Strength of Materials (as well as experience in the field as an apprentice) to understand the principles of mechanics. If the answer is no - then the the information you need can be found in the prescriptive section of the 97 UBC in Section 2320 for Light Frame Wood Construction - Conventional Framing. Many of the local building departments (including the city of Los Angeles) have prescriptive documents including sketches that clearly tell you what you need to know without having to provide a background in engineering or architecture. It does not produce as conservative a design, nor is it expected to perform on the same level as an engineered product, but it will provide the minimum standard for code compliance in regions of low risk and in some areas located in Seismic Zone 4.
Beyond this, I would strongly recommend that you note perform your own analysis unless you have the background and understanding of the the principles of mechanics and a knowledge of wind and seismic design. The Morton Newman books are pretty much detail books that provide generic detials that may or may not be appropriate for your area. I have used Newmans details but have always updated them to what is needed in my area (zone 4).

If you are learning wood design and have the background in mechanics then I would highly recommend Wood Design by Donald Breyer who is an instructor at Cal Poly in Pomona California. Breyers book is the bible among wood design students and professionals. There are other good books but Breyer makes the information understandable to those who have been qualified in mechanics but who have not been focusing on wood design.

When in doubt - consult with a local engineer or architect (if he or she feel qualified in current code compliance).

Finally, you might consider obtaining a copy of the 2000 IRC (International Residential Code) or searching the Internet for FEMA 368 which includes the Wood provisons from NEHRP that will be adopted in the 2003 IBC (International Building Code). The Structuralist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back