Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I find out what type of lens I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant42onia

Industrial
Jun 19, 2007
US

How can I tell which lens I have in an older laser? The manual states that the laser came with a 2.5 and 3.75 lens, but it has instructions on how to dismantle and re-mount a 5" lens as well. So how do I know which one is actually in the machine?

The answer is probably just as obvious as I think it is, but I want to be very very sure.

Thank you for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless the part number is etched or engraved in the lens housing itself there is no way of knowing. Usually there is a focal length description on those black anodized housings.

However, if you look at the box where the lens came from, it should tell you everything there is to know about it. In your case, and I assume you are the same guy who has the LC1212, your machine came standard with 5.0" Lenses. You have an adapter for a 3.75" and a 7.5" also.

Regards,

Unfortunately I don't have a box for the lens, nor a LC1212. It's a Mazak Turbo-46. All I have is the lens itself. Is there any other way to tell?

I guess at this point it would be trial and error. What is the wattage on the machine? If it's less than a 2.0 Kw laser it's likely they only provide 5.0" Focal Length. Call Mazak applications group and see if you can get a hold of them.

Since the lens is removable, you could simply try to image a ceiling light onto a sheet of paper with the lens. The distance from the paper should be close to the focal length.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back