Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I get back to the Technical World? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

amata42

Mechanical
Jul 18, 2012
US
Okay, so my career track / work history has been "not the best". I am 33 years old, and have a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering with 3.20 gpa. I have had 1 Engineering Internship, 1 Validation Engineering (temp job), 2 Mechanical Engineering jobs, 1 Labview Programming "Engineering" job, and 1 Technician job. > All of my professional Engineering jobs (after college) lasted about 1.5 years... (the 3 engineering jobs that I had.) And there were gaps between those Engineering jobs where I did "Non-Engineering" work. 6 month to 3 year gaps.

I got Terminated from my Technician job because I wasn't learning quickly enough. I had 3 months to learn how to fix every type of machine at the company and I didn't meet "the mark". It would either take me too long to fix the machines, or I needed to call the senior technicians for help over the phone "too much". When they terminated me, they said: "we knew you did Not have field technician experience; we thought that because you had a Mechanical Engineering degree, you would be able to pick it up quick." ... what I realize now is that I need more hands-on experience fixing machines.

Now I know I made a-lot of mistakes. And had a-lot of failures. But I want to get back into the Technical World... I've matured in my life now (in my Thirties) ... it's taken a while, but I know what want: I want to be in the Tech World (not necessarily an Engineer) in addition to starting a Business on the side (Not related to engineering). I'm NOT doing ANYTHING technical right now. I'm working at an office job doing random miscellaneous work. And after work, I spend some time on my business. > But the business does not provide any income, and it will not for a LONG time... it's one of those types of businesses that will take many years to provide income.

So my question is: how can I get back to the Technical World? And how can I get back in it, the FASTEST way possible? I've been thinking about App Programming / App Development, IT Technical Work. > When I was in college, I was really good at programming (basic C, and Matlab). And I have always been good at troubleshooting, and diagnosing computer problems.

But I still like mechanical engineering and hands-on technical work (like fixing equipment/machines; NOT computers). Maybe that Technician job that I had was too difficult... and maybe I need to get an easier Technician job (easier/simpler machines)...

Thank you for reading.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Reading your job history makes one wonder whether engineering really is for you. You have a BS in mechanical engineering yet you worked as a technician, and not too successfully at that. MEs don't "fix equipment", that requires a different set of skills.
Going back to engineering will be like a career change. Maybe you should consult a career councilor.

All the best.

Andries

Someone said " other people's opinion of you does not have to become your reality";
Ignore the comments of your previous employers about you and your potential. I find the comments of such a mediocrity (because you are mechanical engineer we thought you could pick this up quick....REALLY!!)

I don't agree with you when you ask to come back on track the FASTEST as possible, as it may require patience and endurance. I think you should take small steps. one possible suggestion:

Find one job in a sales area where some technical skills can be developped, like "sales engineer" job. Then develop your self means: get out of your normal roles and responsibilities.

A sales person could be granted by a company access to technical resources and tools almost same as a technical engineer; this can be a blessing; read them on your spare time - educate yourself and develop technical SKILLS.

In your resume indicate you are involved in a Sales job - fair enough, BUT emphasize your technical SKILLS, product skills, software skills etc; with your BSc in the background it can give you a shot.

There are many routes, this is one of them.

@ Andries: Thank you. I will look for a career counselor.

@ rotw: Thanks ROTW! That could be one path... sales engineering. And maybe what you are saying is true. The Fastest way is not the best way. It may require Patience and Endurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back