Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I stamp or undercut a design (logo / polylines) to a cylinder (bottle) in AutoCAD 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.

henryaga

Automotive
Apr 21, 2014
US
Hi,

I need to undercut a logo in a kind of spherical bottle. I just tried "extrude" command, then "subtrat" to create the undercut, but in this way the logo is not getting the spherical shape of the bottle as well.

I know there is a way in AutoDesk Inventor to do an "emboss", but I have not time to learn hot to use new software just to do this cut to the part. There is a way in autoCad to do this wrapping stuff?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here's my heavy-handed crude idea.

Say your bottle sphere has an O.D. of 2.0 and an I.D. of 1.9, and you wish the logo to be sunk in to a depth of 1.95dia

Create a sphere 1.95 in dia. Create a sphere at 2.1dia sharing the same center point. Subtract the 1.95d sphere from the 2.1d sphere. Extrude your text/logo 1.0 unit or so and move it to intersect with the resultant shell/sphere in the proper place. I've attached a screenshot of what I'm imagining. I only have LT right now, so it's a crude 2d section. The rectangle being representative of the logo and the coincident circles being your bottle wall.

Then use "INTERSECT" on the logo and shell. Subtract the resultant object(s) from your bottle.

It is not completely accurate as the walls of the inset will be all parallel, instead of radiating from the center of the bottle as it would be if it were "wrapped" around the bottle. But that's the closest I can get /easily/ in Autocad, off the top of my head. Anything else would take a lot of work and might not make any practical difference.

If you are doing this for rendering or visual purposes, I would suggest using chamfer/fillet on all the edges and it will hide the geometric faux-pas a little better.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=907e095f-94d6-454e-87f2-c972471e2c89&file=sphere.png
Yes, it can be done. But I only managed to do this by treating the logo as individual characters turned in the horizontal and vertical to match their final positions on the object - this could be done a lot easier with e.g. Inventor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back