Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How can you install a counter on a gate valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mishaal

Electrical
Feb 26, 2002
US
i am wondering if there is a practical way to install a counter on a gate valve, or valves in general, that can count the number of times the valve was opened or closed. this can help determine how many times have the valve had been operated in a month or week. then it can be incorporated in the draining and flushing programs in the plant. (e.g. flushing dead legs)
thx.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thanks for the quick reply.
what i was looking for is something easier and cheaper to install. or if there are valves with built-in mechanical counter. i just need the number of times that the valve has been operated without complicating the system.

While most plants would perform such tasks administratively, short of a completely automated process.

I think quarks advice is right, the least reliable device and ultimately the most costly to maintain is mechanical.

Yes,

Quarks is correct.

But,For the sake of curiosity just how many times do you operate the valve in a day?

If it is only for about 4 to 5 times a day you can always maintain a log book.Just a suggestion.

In any case,Continous or not,Quarks's answer is perfect.

On control valves, just ask for a 'smart' valve positioner. Using the technology of today these devices can be easily programmed to count cycles, total valve travel etc. In fact, successes have already been booked using these devices to determine the actual work performed by the valve and play a pro-active role in determining whether or not valves will need extra attention during the next maintenance shut-down.
Probably a little more complicated that L/S but adminstration is automatic. You can 'download' the data directly from the device using HART or Fieldbus protocols.

Just an idea for a long term solution!

thanks everyone,
your ideas are great, but the exact application i'm shooting at is a bit different. all of the valves that i'm trying to track are small (2-4 inches), isolation valves and are installed mostly on drain lines. their frequncy are weekly or bi-weekly. So spending lots of money on these systems doesn't sound attractive with our management. i was looking for something mechanical without instrumentation if possible.
In a nut shell, is there a valve manufactured somewhere that when it is opened it will increment a counter. because that sounds to me like the easiest way to count the number of opening and closing of the valve.

thanks again for your time.

How about using a hand counter? You can use a tie-wrap to fix it to the handwheel. You would have to get buy in from operations, They would have to click the counter everytime they operate the valve. (*Get them a box of donuts per week and they should help you out*)

You can buy a hand counter for $5.00 U.S. Do a search for Hand Counter using Google.

Cheap and Dirty!

Good Luck!

H

Now,

This is getting real funny!!

Seriously,Mishall, what makes you think that limit switches are expensive?

If your valves are operated by a gear box,You can install a limit switch so that every time the valve is opened or closed a signal can be sent to a timer.It is really simple electronics,no sweat.

You have to convince your bosses that no Bare valve has a default mechanical timer,you would have to install it w.r.t the actuator.

that's about it.

A hand counter and a little fabrication by any welder in a short amount of time should work. Thats how pump strokes and press punches were counted for 100 years before electronics

One one of caution.

If you need to put a counter on a gate valve then you are mis-using the valve!

Gate valves were never intended for that sort of usage. So the question you really need to be asking, is what sort of valve you really need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back