Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How did you Land Your Current Job? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maui

Materials
Mar 5, 2003
US
I found my last job through a friend who suggested that I call someone he knew who might have an idea who was hiring for Metallurgy positions in the local area. I called this individual who referred me to someone else, who referred me to someone else in the same company, and by making a series of telephone calls to indiviuals that I didn't know who referred me to someone else I eventually landed an interview and got the job. I've been here for about eight years. I'd like to know how many of you got your current job (1) through direct contacts - you knew somebody who got you on the list to interview for the job; (2) through somebody at the company that you knew directly; (3) through a job wanted ad in the paper; (4) through a job wanted ad on the internet; (5) through a cold call process like the one I describe above; (6) through your recruiting office at your alma mater; (7) through word of mouth referral where the employer called YOU; (8) through blind luck - being in the right place at the right time. Any info would be appreciated.

Maui

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I got my present job by starting the company.

Most jobs are either by knowing someone or by being in the right place. Something like 80% of all jobs filled never reach the public advertising stage; they are filled by walk in candidates or someone referred by a trusted source, usually a current employee.

To maximize your job opportunities try two things. First enlarge your circle of contacts to the maximum possible. Contacts can be gathered everywhere. I have some through volunteer activities, through social and family connections, through other business connections etc. For example every time I talk to my investment advisor, part of our discussion is my fishing for leads and introductions. He has passed my name on to other clients who have expressed an interest in meeting someone of my talents. So far nothing but its another contact. Also never let a contact go. I call everyone every year at least. Never be afraid to ask about jobs to your contacts. If you don’t ask they might think that you are not really looking.

Second, since you never know where the right place is be in lots of places. The best job-hunting method in my opinion is to physically visit all prospective employers and politely ask to speak to the department head where you would like to work. (Investigate this before hand.) Be prepared to wait a couple of hours if necessary. If you cannot get in to see him or her then ask to make an appointment. Do not simply leave a resume with the receptionist.

Once you see the guy, you don’t just ask for a job but you tell him that you would like to work for a company like this and ask what sort of skills and other attributes they look for in a potential candidate. Then in the discussion highlight how you can fit that profile. Thank him for his time and ask if you could leave a resume for future consideration.

Above all throughout this process be polite and professional. That includes dress and manners. Remember to be polite to the receptionist, he or she has the power to block your access and to “misplace’ your resume after you leave. It also helps to have some personal business cards printed up so you can leave one behind as well. With PC’s this is very easy. Never leave your current employer’s cards.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

I've had three manufacturing jobs, including my internships.
The first had been attained through Maui's option (3), then the other two (including my present full-time job) have been through option (2).

Most of mine have been through less typical means, apparently, internet searches. Not just career boards but company web pages direct. One I got when I was not looking. My old university had my resume on file still and someone came to the college looking for potential employees and walla. I would never make a cold call at an employers place of business. People are to busy these days and some may get irritated. Judgement call all the way whether to just drop in. If I am dropping off a resume, I definately will ask to see the hiring manager. Always, always, always, follow-up with a quick phone call or better yet, a letter, after every visit. One more thing, make sure you get the hiring managers name before you write a letter. I sort of got off track from the original post, sorry.

I am offering my services to a major manufacturer with whom I had prior contact. My role would be to foster the company's entering upon a higher tier of manufacture. This is a natural progression in industry.

Job 1 - On campus interviews
Job 2 - Newspaper ad
Job 3 - Knew somebody who knew somebody (networking)
Job 4 - A monstrous job site on the web
Job 5 - Newspaper ad
Job 6 - Newspaper ad

Don't know if it's related or not but the "newspaper" jobs have all sucked.

I've worked for 3-4 companies in the past 20+ years. I've had more than 3-4 "jobs" in those companies.

I say 3-4 because the company I work for now re-hired me after 2.5 years away. They had acquired a division of a company I where worked for 14+ years. I stayed 3+ years after the acquisition & left for 2.5 years working for two different companies in that 2.5 year period. I've been back 3 months. I reckon unless I win the lotto or some company offers me gobs of money, I'll retire from this one. Starting over again is PITA. [bomb]

Internal moves were from an internal job bidding process or from networking. My two external forays were by networking. When I came back to my current employer, I had applied through the company's website.

I found work by not applying for that job but applying for another job that had been advertised in the press by that company. You'll find that companies will sometimes advertise a lot of positions at one time usually indicating they want to generally increase their staff. By applying for some position that you could maybe do but have no hope of getting, and having an interesting CV (resume) then your CV gets sent around the company to see if anyone's interested. This only works if your CV gets inside the company. If some recruiting agency is running the show then you've got no chance as you'll get binned if you don't exactly match their requirements. Usually it's just luck that gets you the job, a little like fishing with a crowd of anglers. The crowd might have all the right bait, but with the feeding frenzy going on your piece of stale bread gets swallowed up too.

Job 1: Started off as work experience through uni, then got an 8 mths contract.
Job 2: Ad in paper
Job 3: Ad in paper

Between job 1 and 2 I also had an offer through someone I know from a post grad course. It was a short term contract and I would have to relocate.

I think I need to do more networking!

Job 1: Had a Chemistry teacher randomly ask if I wanted an Internship at the research lab outside of town for the summer. I worked there for two summers.

Job 2: My dad seems to know everyone in the NDT industry and I got a job through that connection during college.

Job 3: The guy my mom was babysitting for suggested talking to his boss, walked in one day with the resume, had the summer job offer the next.

Job 4: Friend of mom's managing spares at a Nuclear plant hired a bunch of us off from school for the summer.

Job 5: Applied through company website for multiple positions, was offered the current position I am in for the summer.

I guess one my largest set of contacts has been through my parents, but this has only been for summer jobs.

Job 1) Position had been posted on a board within the engineering building at school.

Job 2) Networking got me in a ground floor with a start up company.

Job 3) Direct contact through corporate website.

Networking at least to me has proven to be the most useful as you have an ally to vouch for you. I have also turned down offers because of feedback from colleagues working within the company.

Regards

My former company laid off almost 25% of its workforce with a significant number of senior engineers affected (saving money by getting rid of higher compensated employees and reducing the pension obligations at the same time...)

All of those who gained employment in a similar position or related areas landed their jobs through networking... all of the other avenues were slim pickings...

Your best chances are to foster good (working) relationships with anyone you deal with -- you never know who will be a reference you need...

Job 1: University interview
Job 2: Recommended to company by a friend already working there.
Job 3: Rehired by Job 1
Job 4. Recommended to company by a friend already working there.

I've found having a current employee present my resume makes a significant difference when it comes to getting work. My current employer actually prefers to hire through such recommendations.

job 1 - went down to the recruiting office and enlisted
job 2 - Commisioned as Navy officer upon completion of NROTC
job 3 - mailed to targeted company
job 4 - newspaper
job 5 - internet ad via headhunter
job 6 - E-mailed engineering supervisor at job 6 and went back to my old company.

job1 - introduced by college roommate to manager
job2 - followed manager to another company
job3 - followed manager to another company, who retired
job4 - followed new manager to another company
job5,6 - company name changed in-situ, same manager

TTFN

Total experience 9 years, jobs changes 4.
Job 1 - On campus interviews
Job 2 - through blind luck - being in the right place at the right time- This was my best job in terms of experience and knowledge gained...worked here for more than half my total experience period
Job 3 - through word of mouth referral where the employer called me...for people I knew who would like such a job, I showed interest in the offer and ended up with the job (networking)
Job 4 - Newspaper ad- Still working here....
This job offer included a shift from India to UAE and in terms of jump in terms of responsibilty and recognition of qualifications, this was the best jump...Surprisingly the interview was a cakewalk with the interviewer(my current boss) being so impressed with my career summary, that the interview ended up with what improvements I could do in the Company once employed!!
Got a number of job offers while working here here through word of mouth referral

Thanks and regards
Sayee Prasad R

The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking!!! [thumbsup]

Hmmm....

Job 1) Temp agency...
Job 2) When my contract with the temp was finished I moved up to the front office...
Job 3) Head hunter found the great job I have now for me... Pure Luck.

Nick
I love materials science!

LOL.... this thread brings back some memories...

1st job.... on campus interview (went the first day, found out they were (basically) taking other products, adding an ingredeant and selling it as their own (ethical???). Besides that, their head R&D guy (who I was shadowing for the day) spent most of the day online trying to figure out how he could renew his visa (not the credit card). To top it off, an hour after I concluded the first day, a friend called and said the owner hadn't paid taxes for 5 years and the company was in financial trouble.... that was my first and last day there!)

2nd job.... after 20 on campus interviews and +100 resumes / replies on every job search engine ever invented, I replied to an add in the paper "Project engineer, Fax resume". Been here three years!

jproj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back