Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How difficult is it to get a component UL listed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbofitz

Electrical
Aug 6, 2007
US
My employer is interested in finding out how to get a component listed as UL & CSA 508 compliant. We are not familiar in any capacity with the requirements or process to achieve this type certification. We have some opportunities in the motor drive market but don't know what kind of issues will arise.

From your experiences what are the most important factors to determine if a custom product (a transformer or inductor specifically) is going to meet the requirements?

We have no history with the UL. If any of your experiences such as investment (time and money), use of consultants, or any other unexpected issues are worth mentioning it would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A gross rule-of-thumb I have used based on my experience 5-6 years ago as a Product Manager for a power equipment manufacturer is that it will cost you about $20,000 per line item, slightly less if you want to list multiple variations of the same basic thing.

Other observations:
Thermal testing takes the longest.
Short Circuit testing costs the most (but it's fun to witness!)
Documentation is the most frustrating / boring / daunting. DO NOT change any component in the middle of the project no matter how insignificant you may think it is. It resets the process every time.

And my final nugget:
Evaluation time tends to be inversely proportional to the size of the wheel barrow carrying $100 bills that you show up with at their door...

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

jraef is exactly right.

I've done transformers (recently) of the quite-small control type (100 VA, class 2, 120:24).

If you pay the necessary fees to become a UL client, you get access to nearly all the standards. For a first-timer, purchasing the necessary standards might cost quite a bit!

Good on ya and good luck!

Goober Dave

Thanks for your prompt replies!

The product of interest is for a 600V class, 100-300 kVA 3-phase inductor family.

I don't think we will be using any plugs, but that reminds me that all components within our assembly should be UL listed

@ jraef

Does all testing typically take place at a UL facility?

@DRWeig

What exactly does it mean to become a UL client? We usually purchase our documents through the IHS service. I wonder if there will be much savings becoming a client...

Thanks again for sharing your experience.
Regards,
Jim

Hi again jimbofitz,

You'll need to ask a UL rep -- we've been a subscriber so long that I don't remember all the requirements. Basically, though, as a subscriber, nearly all UL standards are free (for subscriber use only!).

Assuming you're in the US, give 'em a shout at cec##us.ul.com or industrialquote##us.ul.com. (replace the ## with @ of course).

Getting a product through the UL mill is a challenge, but I've found their support staff and quoting staff to be quite helpful.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Typically, most testing is done by outside labs. The temperature tests could be done in house with a UL witness assuming you have the appropriate gear to produce the needed test current and you have certified calibrations on your measuring equipment.

I believe you simply have to become a UL customer with a UL file to get access.

I'd expect a product line of say 8 or 10 low voltage items such as that to cost about $100k to get UL listed. However, reactors may not need fault current testing and that should cut about $40k off the price.

Yes, the short circuit testing is typically done at outside labs because of the necessary fault current generation capability, KEMA is one of the largest in the country although they may be overkill for your needs. But some of the larger mfrs have their own facilities (or used to anyway). Depending on where you are, sometimes even potential competitors will let you rent their facility if it's more convenient, especially now when everyone is looking for revenue streams. I know we used an old Westinghouse facility in NC that Eaton owns because it was relatively close by. UL came out to witness and certify the test and procedure, but because that facility is already used for UL testing quite a bit, that part was a snap. We used to send out for thermal testing too but eventually we brought it in-house so we had to build chambers. The thermal chamber tests in Florida in summer were brutal though.

The American Association of Lab. Accreditation certifies 3rd party labs and you can sort their membership list by activities. Here's one I did on "short circuit".

By the way...
I don't think we will be using any plugs, but that reminds me that all components within our assembly should be UL listed
MiketheEngineer was being facetious, probably in reference to how some @#!^&$& manufacturers of knock-off junk are surreptitiously ending up with UL labels on untested products by just getting a UL listed power cord.

Lionel,
I would think that now with the requirements for SCCR ratings on all power devices, short circuit testing is going to be a must. Are reactors somehow exempt?

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

A reactor or inductor probably can not be listed, rather recognized. Recognized parts do not have an SCCR. Other examples of recognized parts are terminal blocks.

Listed reactors do not need SCCR either. If at all possible you are better off conducting your own thermal and environmental (if enclosed) tests. That way you can convey your level of expertice and likely have more control of the schedule and timing of the project. For the reactors in that size range, I say your costs will be something like $10K to $20K. If you have no experience with UL, I recommend you hire a consulting Engineer to help you establish your file. The way that file is written can have significant impact on future work and additions. You want to build in as much flexibility as possible.

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back