Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How do engr consultants add value and differentiate from others? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEHurst

Civil/Environmental
Oct 1, 2008
CA
Consulting engineers talk about how, as professional service providers, we should be selected and evaluated on our unique qualifications and the value we bring to clients, as opposed to being viewed as a commodity and chosen on price.

However, I think consultants/consulting firms need to get much better at actually differentiating ourselves and demonstrating how we can add value that other consultants can’t. I’m guilty of not doing this well, and recently I’ve been thinking about how to improve on this in our proposals and our marketing and sales efforts. And I’m fishing for additional ideas here…

Several times, after submitting a proposal for a consulting civil engineering project to a public client, I’ve asked to review all the proposals submitted for the project (once the selection of the consultant has been made, the proposals are usually considered as public record). The client hands me the stack of proposals and I lock myself in their spare conference room for an hour or two and read through them, just like clients do in their selection process.

You know what? We all sound the same! Our proposals look the same. We say the same things. We differentiate ourselves by “unparalleled service…exceptional client focus…a commitment to quality…innovation to meet your needs.” That’s lame! Not those concepts, which are great if actually achieved and lived day-to-day…but I recently reviewed a stack of seven proposals and everyone claimed to differentiate themselves by client focus and excellent service. No differentiation there. Now I’m starting to understand why clients tell me all consultants offer the same services, and therefore choose the lowest cost provider.

So I’ve started this thread in hopes of generating some discussion on how consultants can actually differentiate themselves and show “value-added,” rather than just give lip service to it. Since I’m in civil engineering, that’s the type of work I’m best able to discuss, but I certainly welcome input from all fields.

When I’ll have some more time today, I’ll add a post with some specific examples I’ve seen.

One more thought – perhaps the best way to demonstrate your quality and added value is by building a trusting relationship with a client, so they’ve seen your capabilities on their projects. But I’m thinking about business situations where the client doesn’t know you all that well, but you still have to try to convince them you’re the best person or firm for the job…

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I work in the consulting business as well (but not in the civil engineering field).

I agree with your last thought, the only sustainable competitive advantage is the esatblished client relationship. Missing that (or, before that) I think that reputation is the next best thing.

If you are still building up your reputation... ask your old clients if you can use the project you did for them as a (disguised) example for your proposal. There is no better reference than "I have already been successful doing a similar thing".
Even better, give your trusted clients as a reference to new clients. If you are good, word of mouth helps.

I would be amazed if you find anyone who doesn’t think that repeat business or personal recommendation are not the best ways to get work, however that doesn’t answer the question of how you start that process happening and actually break it with potential customers who already have these relationships in place.

Unfortunately as long as you are comparing like for like you are little more than a commodity. The actual reason people choose different companies will be wide and varied but cost is nearly always a factor, especially in hard times.

Why not look at a group of services/ products you use and work out why you chose them? After all are you that different from any other buyer?

Pick a broad spectrum to see if there is a pattern. Why did you choose the car you drive and the dealership you brought it from? Why did you choose the TV and outlet you got that from? Why did you choose the accountant/ lawyer you use? Then more general things like banks, internet providers, software, computers and printers and even go right down to stationary.

Generally, we try to reintermediate ubiquitous solutions by syndicating out-of-the-box architectures and incubate cross-platform action-items to deliver innovative enterprise infrastructures.

If possible, I try to include lines for "optional" items that I think the customer would want, but are not shown or specified in the bid package.

For custom engineered jobs, this means really looking at the space they are putting our equipment to determine the best layout and features. Consider the customers flow through the factory and such instead of just plopping the "standard" equipment in the area.

When we are doing work as more of a fab shop, where the customer provides the engineering and/or drafting to various extents, it might mean adding optional additions to the proposal. Customer asks for a quote on a wheelchair that shows no brake, I would probably have a proposal for the "basic" wheelchair specified in the package, and then costs for adding brakes, cupholders, gold rims, etc... Try to show the customer that we will try to work with them make their design the best it can be.

That approach may be somewhat specific to my discipline, industry, company, or position. I don't know how many "options" are available for, say, building a road from point A to point B. I would expect proposal to look much more similar in that case than in custom machinery and equipment business.

-- MechEng2005

I am similar to Mecheng, We try to give two expert opinions to improve the structure of the building (save money) for the client. Often this will be a concept change from the arch proposal, such as changing the roof pitch by a few deg or changing the layout of the columns in a basement ect.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that they like it

I've been involved in consultant selection. For us, it was all about how well the consultants met the requirements stated in the RFP. We asked for X, Y, Z. Did the consultant demonstrate an understanding of issue X? Do they list people who have the skills for X? How big an expert on X is company 1's expert vs. company 2's expert? And so on for Y and Z. Past experience also helps (goes a toward demonstrating understanding of X, Y, Z).

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Do not ever underestimate the importance of relationships. And this comes from years of public experience. When you have that stack of proposals in front of you, several of the proposals will be excellent and a number of the firms can do the job. It comes down to personal issues, this consultant helped out at this event, this consultant has adopted a highway, this consultant is always eager to answer questions.

Robert Billings

If you are a small business, you might think about talking with your local Small Business Administration. If you can qualify as 8a, hub zone, native american, veteran owned, or otherwise disadvantaged, a lot of doors are opened through the set aside programs. Before a company graduates, they should have plenty of time to develop a track record.

I've heard that a lot of folks bad mouth their competition on a regular basis to differentiate themselves as better selections. Anybody else heard of that one? Not that I'm for it, but it happens.

I don't hear people badmouthing others. I do know a lot of clients and Architects we are picking up are sick of working with particular Civil Engr's though.

We get repeat business because I won't do what those with the bad reputations were doing during the boom. But you can't exactly say that to the client.

Civil Development Group, LLC
Los Angeles Civil Engineering specializing in Hillside Grading

When another firm trying to sell me or one of my clients services practices bad-mouthing of the competition, that is an immediate turn-off. Unprofessional IMHO.

Alan
“The engineer's first problem in any design situation is to discover what the problem really is.” Unk.

We just got a job over another more well known Civil because they are building a bad reputation. The architect I was talking to today, was kind of surprised what we don't charge for. And she was a bit surprised at what I could gauge our turnaround time would be. I am seeing sticking with what you say is a pretty big sticker on the company that says we don't lie and do good work, and oh yeah we don't charge for every little stupid thing everyone else charges for.

I am also pretty open with giving a potential client the name and number of someone we have worked with already in the same area. I see this is now a big deal.

Civil Development Group, LLC
Los Angeles Civil Engineering specializing in Hillside Grading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back