Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How do I convert an iges file to a solid 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jashe

Automotive
Jun 19, 2013
US
I need to get a volume on a part that came in as an igs file. Is there a way to convert all those surfaces to form a solid. I tried selecting all the surfaces and using the Join icon but it just gave me a bunch of errors.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

use the join with the automatic selection from the distance propagation option...

download.aspx

download.aspx

You might have to increase the merging distance...

download.aspx

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

You can use the join feature but this time deselect the "check continuity" option and press the "add mode" button. Finally close the joint feature with "close surface".

Hi! itsmyjob,

Can you please explain me the use of the "Distance Propogation" option in the Join command in the GSD Workbench ?

Regards,

Himanshu

it is a way to select all adjacent elements automatically. If the IGES file is OK, the automatic selection will give you a closed join. If you have tolerance problem or duplicate surfaces it will show thanks to the propagation.

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

I've been working with a surface I'm using to split a solid. But I cannot fill some of the holes that are on the surface. I can fill a couple of them. I've been using the "Boundary", "Extract", then "Fill" commands and it worked on a couple. Then I would "Join" the Fill to the rest of the surface to make it one surface. I've attached the model below. Let me know if anybodies got any ideas.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=477d7c34-9fbe-40b7-b4f1-56ef745a46e2&file=Part2.CATPart
Hi! Jashe,

I have worked on your cat part & resolved your problem, just refer to the Geometrical set "solution" at the bottom of the tree which contains my work features.

Just refer "Healing.1" feature if the merging distance & distance objective deviations are acceptable to you or not.

Regards,

Himanshu

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9fbb4458-d163-479b-bd90-1739e2c8db8a&file=Part2[1]_modified.CATPart
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back