Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I define the tolerance for a 2D plane in V4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctlstevens

Automotive
May 31, 2002
CA
When I create multiple elements using a plane, I find that the elements are not 2 dimensional. That is, if I create a section by intersecting faces with a plane, then attempt to go into 2D using a radius on the section, parts of the section do not show up as two dimensional. How is this possible? 2D is 2D whether on a plane or on a element on a plane.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Ctlstevens,
if you do a curve1 project onto the plane you will almost certainly get a identical project YES merge message, the curves must be outside the 0.1 tolerance for projection / intersection. thereby giving the result they don't lie on the same plane. Ideally prior to creation set your colour or layer so the resultant elemants can easily be projected.

Mick Wafer

Hi Ctlstevens,

I understand your frustration. You don't want to have to keep the original cutting plane in every section you cut, and some customers insist that the model be cleaned of construction elements like spines, planes, etc.
The problem with your Catia is that it works within set tolerances, which means that your section lines/curves are not on "exactly" the same plane. I try to keep my original section planes as long as possible, and use them to bring me into 2D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back