Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I Determine Input G-Loading Given Accelerometer Shock Response 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkmann

Aerospace
Jul 15, 2004
US
I have shock response data (time) from a triaxial accelerometer. The task is to determine the shock load that the structure sees, using this response. I have the sampling rate and acelerometer specs. How do I begin to answer this question. I can reasonable assume that the system is a 1DOF system, obtain the transfer function and then do the inverse calculation to back out the input. Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could measure the static deflection of the structure verses force. Then integrate the acceleration twice (to, probably, the first zero crossing) to get the deflection due to the shock . The static data will then tell you the equivalent peak force from the shock.

Calculate a shock response spectrum (SRS). This function will give the peak response of the system to the base input acceleration.

The SRS has units of peak response accel (G) versus natural frequency (Hz). Damping is held as a constant, typically 5%, for this calculation. Furthermore, the calculation assumes a single-degree-of-freedom system.

So you will need an esimate of the natural frequency.

Tom Irvine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back