Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I find dangling dimensions in a large drawing document?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muttzy

Mechanical
Feb 20, 2014
US
I have a large drawing document (60 plus pages) of one large assembly and many sub-assemblies. I changed a part in one of the sub-assemblies and when I went back to the main drawing file it asked if I wanted to delete the dangling dimensions. I don't want it do delete them, I want to find them and change them myself. How do I do that?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A tip that helped me a lot - go to Options, Colors. Scroll to Dimensions, Dangling. Edit the color box to bright red or some other easily distinguishable color. That way you won't have to look so hard for them. They will pop out. I do not understand why Solidworks chose that non-descript brown color for such an important element as dangling dimensions.

You can also set up the design checker to detect dangling dimensions. It will list them for you, and then as you click on one of the items, it will zoom to the dangling dim

I make my dangling dims a really obnoxious color (bright magenta) so they stand out like a sore thumb. Then it is a relatively quick scan to make sure. That default color for the dangling dimensions is too close to the color of 'normal' dims for my taste.

Han primo incensus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back