Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I go from NX to SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfbrandt

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2003
SE
Hi,I've been working in many cad programs and we are currently working in NX7. This is by far the most complex program I've used. I feel that it takes way to long to make assembly and drawings and we feel that we would like to go back to Solid Edge. Solid Edge is within the Siemens family and we hope that it's possible to "down grade" to SE without any program cost. Does anyone know if this is possible?
We also wonder how we best convert our drawings and parts from NX to SE.

Please help us, don't have time to use NX any longer ;-)

BR,Johnny W

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might be struggling here.
SE can open some NX part files, depending on version, but not assemblies. Things may have changed in ST2/ST3.
As for drawings I don't think its possible because the drawing is linked to the model.
Have you had training on NX?
I'm interested to know why you think its too slow because there is a rumour that the company I work for is going to change from SE to NX.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

This is something I like to read !

Well I have been looking for information on the internet about NX.
And from what I have been seeing.
I must say I was a bit suprised, after seeing the standard demo movies, I concluded that I did not like it at all !
Yes you can give me whatever Highend CAD you want but please no NX.
A former SE user made me doubt. He said to me NX was the better program between NX and SE.
But after some investigation I must say, I am glad I did not switched to NX. Yes you can do the same thing in different ways.
And they have implemented synchr. technology better then SE.
At least you do not have to switch to another environment like in SE. But I am very sure this will be solved in one of the coming releases. They have to ! Remember ST is an invention coming from SE development and not from NX.
But what I really disliked was the drawing environment of NX. Even with the new enhancements in it it is still a poor environment.

To beachcomber - Why does your company want to switch to NX ?

Don't know really but some other parts of the group use NX.
I don't think they need it and neither do the experienced users.
It's nothing to do with me anyway as I am not a 'permy' here, only on contract - but if they want to train me to use NX that's fine by me.
I did an NX2 course several years ago and I have to admit I found it quite tedious - so many settings and options for each command.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

I can't see that there will ever be a way to 'downgrade' as it would not be in Siemens' interests to enable that.
It would be quite simple then to do the complex stuff in NX and then bring it into SE for detailing etc.
A bit like Dassault enabling Solid Works users to work with native Catia files.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

SE was marketed as a UG utility for making drawings ect for a short while.

The pain in the migration depends on how big the project of conversion is.
Even if Siemens doesn't give you a downgrade to SE it could cost less to buy SE than pay maintenance on NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back