Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I import a solidworks model into autocad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

argman

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2003
NZ
Hello,

I am running Solidworks 2001, and would like to learn how to export a Solidworks model into AutoCAD, in order to print a hidden line image in both Axonometric and Perspective views.

Additionally, if anybody should recommend how I might plot a hidden line image directly from Solidworks without a jagged line effect, that information would also be valued.

Thanks!
Argyle.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can export a Solidworks Drawing to AutoCAD. Create your model. Create a drawing from that model. Save the drawing in "DWG" format. This will create an AutoCAD file from your drawing. Go to AutoCAD and open the file.

You need to create all your views in Solidworks drawing, because the AutoCAD file does not update with Solidworks model.

Good luck.

jevakil@mapdi.com

One nuclear bomb can ruin your whole day.

You can also import SW sketches, solids and surfaces to AutoCAD via IGES. Use the "IGESIN" command in AutoCAD. In my version (R14) the command has to be typed in on the command line.

[bat]There's no double-lock defense; there's no chain on my door.
And I'm available for consultation,
but remember your way in is also my way out
[bat]

Or, if you had Acad already installed when you installed SW, you had the option of installing "XChangeWorks".. solid modeling importers for Autocad, free from SW. Check your toolbar list in acad to see if it's there. It'll read your SW files in directly.

Solid models can be exported to AutoCAD using the ACIS format. Save the model as ACIS (sat file) then import it in AutoCAD. You might not be able to do this using the last version of ACIS, AutoCAD R14 supports ACIS up to 1.6, 2000 goes up to ACIS 6.0 (I think). Change ACIS version in Options when you do the saveas.

This way you can export solids from AutoCAD to SW (use export under File menu, then select ACIS format or .sat file. In SW open the file and SW will do the conversion. They will come up as dumb solids but sometime it's easier to convert an existing solid than remodel it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back