Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I know if I need to Classify an area? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddrowe0217

Chemical
Oct 25, 2011
US
I have a room that is used to distribute pentaerythritol - it comes in as a powder and the room and components can get dusty. There is rarely a cloud or a cloudy situation. My question is - is there something that requires me to classify this room as Class 2 Div 1 or 2? Minimum ignition energy, or ignition temperature or Cloud Ignition temperature? We keep the room as sealed and secure as possible - but there has been a huge push to "Classify" it and I was wondering about the real need for this.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A good source of advice is from a manufacturer of pentaerythitol. It sounds like no one in the decision loop is spending their own money so the deciding factor will be CYA. Peventing dust explosions is mainly an issue of good housekeeping, not electrical classification.

Doesn't the MSDS have information pertinent to the situation?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Agree with all the above (MSDS attached). It depends on the level of dust and the likelihood of dust dispersion into the air. Manufacturer can give you guidance, and if it comes down on the "classify" side from them, find an engineer with a hazardous locations certification to guide you through the actual classification. If it were all in sealed containers, no problem. If it's dumped into that room in bulk, I'd be erring on the side of caution.

What sort of electrical equipment is (or will be) in the room?

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back