Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do I limit sensitivity on moving or rotating parts in an assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

borsht

Mechanical
Oct 9, 2002
US
The problem is I'm trying to demonstrate how one thing will react to another in a gear train, and I have tried to move or rotate the driving shaft, which operates a series of gears. everything is properly moving, but its very hard to show smooth motion. the slightest motion in my mouse shows erractic changes on the system. Is there a setting i can change to alleviate this problem?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think there is any setting for this. If you haven't used any of the tools on the Simulation Toolbar (SW03), you might want to take a look there.

MadMango
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

You can grab something on the shaft with a larger diamater, giving you finer control of the rotation.

Or you could even (temporarily) add a handle to the shaft to grab and move

I've used macros to incrementally change mate dimensions to create animations. Maybe this would work for you.

[bat]If the ladies don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.[bat]

Is there any good place to find out more about animation than the help file? I tried reading and following the directions and ended up with an animation of 1 part moving, even though when I was making the path, by moving the crank handle, all the gears moved accordingly.

Thanks Scott, and everyone else. Through your directions I was able to find that I dont want animator, but the simulator works excellent for this application. I've never used that one before and am really impressed.

I realize this is an old thread and all, but if you have any "empty" space in your view then you can click on the shaft and take your cursor out away from the shaft. At this point you can make a large diameter circle and that will drastically slow down how fast the shaft rotates. You don't have to actually click on the shaft in order to rotate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back