Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I point FlexLM to correct NIC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZGuy

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2002
US
I'm attempting to install FlexLM on my workstation. I have a (legitimate!) license file but when I install the license server (old build WF2, M171) it sees the wrong NIC's MAC address.

I have logged a call w/ PTC (call # 5739941) but have not heard from them yet. The knowledge base at PTC wasn't much help, tho it did report a situation on a HP machine w/the NForce network controller - TPI 131483. The TPI prompted me to check the registry on my computer and the NIC card that has the MAC address in my license file does have a registry entry in the location specified by TPI 131483.

When I run ipconfig /all from the command line the report shows the Physical Address (MAC) for both the ethernet NICs that are in the box.

If I disable the one NIC (3Com on MoBo) Flex will use the one that is in the License file (Netgear wireless).

I would like to not have to dissable the one NIC to get Flex to see the correcct NIC. Does anyone know how to do this? (I am downloading the disc images for latest build of WF3 so maybe FlexNET is smarter - but I'm not holding my breath!)

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

FlexLM/Net will read the first NIC address that you see in the ipconfig/all. You need your license file to use that address.

PTC has a program that will return the address that Flex will see.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

I had a similar issue (2 network adapters, pro seeing the wrong one) with my old laptop and a wireless card.

See thread554-108718 for the solution that worked.

Thanks for the help and replies. I really appreciate your help on this Ben and 'justkeepgiviner' (PTC support just called and confirmed the solution as recommended by 'samoth')

Now to see if I can make one installation with a list of different license servers (mine first then clients' 2nd and 3rd) so that I can fire up the programs if I have the USB device attached or an active VPN to either client!

I may have to work up some script files that copy the various batch files that contain license server information (proe.psf, proi.bat, ptcstatus.bat, etc) so that depending on whether I want to use a clients license while attached to their VPN or my own. I would launch IntraLink & Pro/e from a shortcut that would copy the appropriately configured files into the launch_point/bin directory. Though a little complicated, I am currently using script files to configure start parts and drawing formats and such already, depending on whom I am working for at the time.

Thanks again for the replies!

Have a great week,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back