Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I reduce file size with Configurations

Status
Not open for further replies.

69Camaro

Mechanical
Mar 11, 2004
US
I currently have a assembly model that has about 50 parts and three sub-assemblies (usally 2 components), We vary 3 dimension by turning on and off distance contraints. The rest of the components are standard 3 point constraints.

We use the configurations to assign unique part numbers for variations. We only go down one level (one configuation and three same level derived configuations). We have about one hundred configurations and about three hundred derived configurations.

The model contains 4 parts that use cavity to mimic epoxy.

The original file is 55 meg.

If I store it as a new file its 27 meg.

If I store it a single assy (strip all configurations except one and its three derived configurations) it is 3 meg.

How do keep this from taking 6 minutes to store as a 55 meg file on a tested fiber-optic network?

69camaro

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You've answered your question, don't have such a large number of configs. I know that's not the answer you wanted to hear. The file bloat is a native Windows quirk, not much you can do about it since its not a product of SW.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back