Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How do I remove H2O from H2SO4.H2O mixture? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeolesen

Industrial
Oct 29, 2007
US
I am using heated (~140C) concentrated (98%) sulfuric acid to clean a part of organic films. I follow this by rinsing with hot deionized water. I end up with a mixture of H2SO4.H2O, with > 10% H2O. My need is to remove as much of the water as possible by heating the mixture. I would like to achieve < 10% H2O in the H2SO4.
I originally thought I needed to get to 98%, however, that may not be possible by heating only.

I can calculate the amount of wattage required to evaporate, for example, 1 liter of water per hour. Using the same calculations, can I assume to be able to evaporate the same 1 liter/hr? Or do the rules change, since I have a mixture where the temperature can be much hotter than water only?

I am considering two methods to do this, one would be to heat the full volume of acid and water mix and evaporate the water from the surface. There would be a nitrogen flow above the bath to carry off the moisture. The other would be to use heated plates where a thin film of the mixture would flow across the plate in the nitrogen atmosphere into a pool below at the correct concentration. Give me your thoughts.

If someone can shed some light on this please do so and respond.

Thanks, Mike Olesen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since both acid and water have vapor pressures (however small) nitrogen stripping + heating could create an emission problem.

Depending on the size of the plant and the related economics, one should check:

Reabsorbing SO[sub]3[/sub]
SAR
Dehydrating by chemical reactions
Dehydrating with other chemical agents
Chilling to separate a richer hydrate as a solid. See fig. 1 in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back